Monday, October 5, 2009

Halloween Happiness - The Review Edition

So, anyone who knows me, knows Halloween is by far my favorite Holiday. The twins have their costume, I am going to be the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. Gotta re purpose the Easter Bunny costume. So, on with the month long Holiday extravaganza. I am going to try and share our picks and pans, in hopes that it will inspire.

Hubby and I dislike scary movies, but every year we watch them just for the month Halloween. It really gets us in the spirit. Friday night we drank a bottle of Gnarly Head Zinfindel . It was very yummy and the bottle had a very spooky label. We rented El Orfanto (The Orphanage), which listed Guillermo del Torro at the top of the case. He directed Pan's Labyrinth, if you haven't seen it rent it right away. It would be a great Halloween rental.

Basically in a nutshell, it is what is subtracted when you take "The Others" and add the "Sixth Sense". Plus, as a mom it is hard for me to watch movies where children are abused in any way. It was pretty and creepy, but not gory. So a good pick for Chato and I, but can't recommend it.

I started to read the Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It is a thriller about Dracula. I am 165 pages in and it is moving about as fast as a snail in a marathon. Can't waste my horror month on a 600+ page snoozer. I am setting it free. I got a suggestion for a Batman graphic novel, and thought why not. So, I will be picking it up Wed. at the library. I have never read a comic and the only graphic novel I read was MAUS. So I am somewhat excited about it.

Went to Scarecrows in the Garden, and maybe it was too early but there were not that many scarecrows. Holding off review until my second trip. I hope the bad economy hasn't axed this gem. Felix and Oscar loved it enough to want to make their own Scarecrow Garden in the front yard. It too is a work in progress. Right now, it consists of twin boy scarecrows and miniature pumpkins. We also made this Halloween Gingerbread House. I'll let y'all review it on Wordless Wednesday.

I love starting new traditions and hearing about unique ways to celebrate. Please share yours and inspire Seis.

No comments:

Post a Comment