Monday, May 10, 2010

Strange Sweetness

When Chato and I were first dating, I had this mean little game I would play with him. We would lay in bed at night listening to Astrud Gilberto or Stereolab before going to sleep, and every night I would ask him “to tell me something sweet.” Every night he would stumble and stammer trying to come up with something. It was usually a pretty lame and generic answer. I think a lot of the time he faked being asleep to try and get out of it. My husband is neither eloquent nor romantic, so this was essentially torturous to him. I kept this game going for a couple of years, but slowly gave it up.

For Mother’s Day I got a copy of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros album. Some people would think that this was lousy, but we have a strict no present purchasing rule for gifts. He copied it from a friend so no rules were broken. Anywho, Chato said the Home song along with being the catchiest tune of the year also reminded him of us. I was for sure it was the line that starts “motes and boats and waterfalls...”

He said it wasn’t. That it was the middle of the song, when they quit singing and the guy talks about when the girl falls out of the window and is bleeding everywhere. He then tells her that is when he started falling in love with her.

Chato said it reminds him of the summer we met and he blacked my eye trying to teach me to kayak. When my black eye healed he dropped me on the gravel in the parking lot and busted open my head. He said he knew he was in love, because he was so worried about me he wasn’t even squeamish.

That was really something sweet.
Check it out:

1 comment:

  1. this is the sweetest blog post i have ever read. no lie. and that song is super catchy with a definite feel good vibe. i love you and chato. ya'll were made for each other, ya know. glad you had a happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete