Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Girl Next Door

So, I realize I may get alot of heated comments, for doing something political but I simply can't help it. No worries, "I got my big girl panities on" ;). I am soo sick and tired of hearing about how bad the health care bill is and how hardworking Americans don't need it. How the stimulus is just bailing out bankers and buying people cars. Well my suburban friends, I am very grateful for the stimulus.

Obama's stimulus allowed me to have health care for the past five months while my husband looked for a job. We were very fortunate. We had no credit card debt, a decent savings, and he got a severance package. However, if we would have had to pay the full COBRA for the past four months of 1400$ a month, plus our plans 20% we may have gone broke. Our alternative was to insure our kids and go without insurance for ourselves. However, the stimulus package subsidized our insurance.

We are a middle class family, both of us our college educated, and we were on the brink of the millions of uninsured. I think an option for everyone is important. I don't think it is right that you pay four times more for a doctor visit if you don't have insurance than if you have BC/BS. We already pay taxes to help Special Need students get the care and education they deserve at school and we pay for grandma's social security even if she never worked. It is the right thing to do. It wouldn't be right for me to say since my kid doesn't need special help at school that I don't want my tax dollars to go to get little johnny down the street an aide. Likewise, people who never have kids go to school, still pay into the education system.

I know some people will complain that we don't have the money right now, as a country. I agree. However, when we had a huge surplus under Clinton we were too greedy to pass the bill then. I think sometimes the right thing to do, just isn't easy. No child in America should go without healthcare. If I was that close, think about all the other Americans with less oppurtunity and their children.

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for health care reform, just not what the liberals are trying to propose. But I'm sure you already knew I would say that. ;)

    ReplyDelete