Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Roots

No, I am not heading back to Africa the ancestral mother land. I am talking about getting settled. I have never been a settle down kinda girl. Almost everywhere I have been in my life has been a stop on my next adventure.

Alabama has been sorta hiccup. Recently, everyone has been commenting on how I don't wanna live here or there and I just nod and uhhuh. I was talking to my sister how someone was lamenting on how they knew I didn't want to live in Atlanta.
She quickly replied, "You didn't ever want to live in Alabama did you?"

I was taken aback. she was right. I never did want to live in Alabama. In fact, i cried the first time I ever came here, because I thought it was so terrible. I would spend the next five years trying to move. Something always stood in our way. Now, I have settled down. some call this a routine, others a rut. I like to call it roots. Either way, I felt panicked and fear stricken by moving.

This isn't me. I am not a good Southern Lady. I am loud, and tacky and always say the wrong thing. I hate monogramming, jon-jon's, ginormous girl hair bow's, bleach blond hair, and giving your kids last names for first names. I don't belong. However, I have grown to love it here, despite all the odd occurrences, and was even thinking about monogramming my bathroom towels. BTW, there is no way I am going to get one of those back windshield monograms- Ever.

Cory and I use to have a saying "It isn't where you are it is who you are." I wanna be that girl again. That free spirit. My Mom always said that the dolly Parton song "Wildflowers" reminded her of me. I need to remember that part of me that has gotten swallowed by suburbia.

1 comment:

  1. You know how I feel about our state of residence, but b/c my kids were born here, I will call it 'home'. However my loud, sometimes crass/opinionated self will not apologize for who I am. The world doesnt revolve around the Bama way of life. But if I it work's while I live here, so be it.

    ReplyDelete